woman showing psoriasis problem on her hands


Allergies to stinging insects are one of the more serious allergies that you can have. There are quite a few deaths each year as the result of getting stung. This is mainly because the allergy causes anaphylaxis. Ideally, if you have an allergy to stings you will be able to avoid getting stung, however, this isn’t always possible. If you do get stung you must know how to deal with the sting so that you don’t have a serious problem.

Allergies to stinging insects are fairly common although in most cases the symptoms are not very severe. Usually, the main symptom is just swelling of the area that has been stung. There are some people however who have more serious reactions, usually anaphylaxis. This is a much more serious issue and needs to be dealt with properly. Every year several people will die from insect stings so there is a risk. It is a good idea to find out if you are one of those people who will have a severe reaction so that you are prepared if you do get stung. In general people with other allergies are the most likely to develop a severe reaction.

Insect sting allergy – a symptom

Since anaphylaxis is a common symptom of an insect sting and is a severe reaction you must be able to recognize the symptoms. It will likely start with itching all over your body and you will have hives that spread out from the area where you were stung. Your eyes will probably get itchy and there will likely be some sneezing. As the symptoms get more severe there will probably be some swelling of your lips, tongue and throat. You will have shortness of breath and you will likely vomit. You may have a metallic taste in your mouth and you may have a sense of panic. Finally, you will experience low blood pressure, lightheadedness and eventually pass out. It is important that if you have any of these symptoms that you seek medical care immediately. The standard treatment is a shot of epinephrine; if you know you are allergic you should carry an auto-injector with you.

How to deal with an allergy to stinging insects?

The best way to deal with an allergy to stinging insects is to not get stung. There is always a chance that you will get stung but there are things that you can do to reduce the risk. First of all, if you know there is a hive near your home have an exterminator come and get rid of it. Don’t wear brightly coloured clothes outside and try to stick to long pants and long sleeve shirts. You are going to want to be very careful when you are around flowers since they attract bees. However, if you’d like to decorate your house with flowers, buying cellophane flowers can be a very good solution for people with a sting allergy. If you have to work outside be cautious around bushes and shrubs. With these precautions, you will significantly reduce the likelihood of getting stung. With these precautions, you will significantly reduce the likelihood of getting stung

Rate this post